11 February 2010

To Shop or Not to Shop?

While catching up on my latest Twitter updates the other day, I stumbled upon a post from Time that caught my attention. Six women who decided to give up shopping for a year! A whole entire year! Not a week. Not a month. Not even 6 months, but a full 365 days of not swiping that plastic for the latest duds. How in the world could this be possible? I read the article and was certainly intrigued by the challenge of not making a single clothing purchase for an entire year. I, for those who don't know me personally, am kind of sort of i guess you could say slightly obsessed with the fashion world and have an urge to shop. Not just with buying designer labels but with finding that steal of a deal so good you can't pass it up no matter how low the bank account might be looking. Glitz and glamour come at price. It's not easy looking good even when wearing jeans a tee shirt. For me this no shopping "dare" posed a challenged to looking chic. However, being me, I like a challenge. I mean last year I did go vegetarian for a full 9ish months before I was finally sucked back into the meat eating world. No, I didn't go vegetarian because I had just read Skinny Bitch (though it did have some gross parts) but because I liked the idea of trying to do something that seemed completely unreasonable to a number of people. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps I shouldn't look at no shopping for a year as a burden to looking stylishly fabulous but as one of the greatest fashion challenges out there. I mean how many people can say, no matter if they love shopping or hate it, that they went an entire year without making a single clothing purchase? Not many. I want to be one of those few...not to mention, I'd save a buck or two.

The Rules:

1) Challenge begins 17 February 2010 at the start of Lent. Originally, I was just going to do it for that time period, but I figured I'd push myself a little more...
2) It lasts for an entire year until 17 February 2011.
3) NO clothing purchases.
4) May buy accessories and shoes. However, the challenge is to learn how to rework my current wardrobe so this shouldn't be done all the time.
5) Have fun. Play around. Revamp the old for a new and fresh look. Perhaps a new favorite outfit will come out of this.



2 comments:

  1. I did this from Sept 1, 2006 to August 31, 2007. However, I was not allowed to "stock up" on items (because I did think that was cheating). Also, I wasn't allowed to buy ANYTHING that I could wear on my body. No hats, boots, scarves, mittens, necklaces, barretts. NOTHING. And, I didn't go to 2nd hand stores either. I was, however, allowed to sew my own clothes and about 6 mos into I did just that.

    Good luck! It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's amazing. I'm going to try not to buy shoes or accessories as well but we shall see. Perhaps, I shall learn the art of sewing during this diet. Thanks for the luck. I'm looking forward to this year; it will be exciting and different.

    ReplyDelete

hit counter